The SMSA Executive Committee would like to wish everyone a Safe, Happy and a Prosperous New Year.
Updated 2013 Summit Information
The SMSA National Summit on Comprehensive Motorcycle Safety Programs will be held on August 23-25, 2013 at the Westin Kansas City at Crown Center in Kansas City, Missouri. Supported by our host state, the Missouri Motorcycle Safety Program, and with special events sponsored by the Harley-Davidson Motor Company, the National Summit will provide attendees with three days of informative and interactive sessions addressing motorcycle safety across the country.
The Summit registration form as well as Sponsorship and Exhibitor Opportunities are available on the SMSA website at 2013 Summit and Events.
Call for Papers
The SMSA is actively seeking presenters for the 2013 SMSA National Summit.
The 2013 Summit will focus on the NHTSA’s Uniform Guidelines for State Highway Safety Programs Guideline No. 3 Motorcycle Safety promoting comprehensive motorcycle safety programs. The SMSA would like to see presentations submitted that address countermeasures, initiatives and/or working strategies in the following areas:
- Program Management
- Motorcycle Personal Protective Gear
- Motorcycle Operator Licensing
- Motorcycle Rider Education and Training
- Motorcycle Operator Under the Influence of Alcohol or Other Drugs
- Legislation and Regulations
- Law Enforcement & Emergency Medical Services
- Highway Engineering
- Motorcycle Rider Conspicuity and Motorist Awareness
- Communication Program
- Program Evaluation and Data
If you or someone you know has a professional, quality presentation on an aspect of motorcycle safety, please click here for more information on the call for papers.
2013 SMSA Outstanding Contribution Award
The SMSA Award Committee is seeking nominations for the 2013 SMSA Outstanding Contribution Award. This annual Award, formerly known as the Chairperson Award, recognizes individuals who through their dedication, commitment and contribution to motorcycle safety have made a positive impact on a national, state or local level. SMSA selects one person annually for this award. Nominees may be currently or previously associated with the SMSA or an SMSA member’s program or organization. Individuals may not nominate themselves and individuals that have previously received this award are not eligible. Members of the Award Committee are also not eligible for nomination.
SMSA Outstanding Contribution Award Nomination Form
2013 SMSA Outstanding State Award
The SMSA Award Committee is seeking nominations for the 2013 SMSA Outstanding State Award. This is a new award that recognizes a state with a comprehensive state motorcycle safety program (NHTSA Highway Safety Program Guideline No. 3 – Motorcycle Safety Program) and has implemented strategies that are successful, effective and can be measured, evaluated and serve as best practices.
State Award Nomination Form
Meetings with SMSA Partners
Brett Robinson, SMSA Executive Director met with staff from the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA) and the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) on December 12, 2012 in Washington, D.C. The purpose of the meetings was to discuss future partnerships and mutual goals for comprehensive motorcycle safety programs.
Additional meetings in the New Year will be held with other SMSA Partners.
SMSA Strategic Planning Process
The SMSA Executive Committee continued its efforts to develop a new Strategic Plan to outline the future direction of the Association over the next five-years designed to enhance membership services, provide member resources and encourage comprehensive motorcycle safety programs.
The Executive Committee is in the process of finalizing a 1-Year which will be distributed to the Membership in the coming weeks.
New SMSA Website
A new SMSA website will be unveiled in the coming months. The website is being redesigned to be easier to navigate and will include a new “Members Only” section. SMSA will be seeking your input on the new site as we continue to make improvements for our members.
Subcommittee and Working Group Volunteers
SMSA is seeking member volunteers for the new SMSA Policies and Positions Subcommittee, the new SMSA Committee Structure Working Group, the new Establishment of Motorcycle Safety Coalitions Working Group and the new Promising Practices for Program Quality Assurance Efforts Working Group.
- The SMSA Policies and Positions Subcommittee will be an ongoing subcommittee responsible for assisting with the development and revision of SMSA polices, positions, position papers and white papers.
- The SMSA Committee Structure Working Group will be responsible for proposing a new committee structure for the Association. The structure will define how committees operate, report to the Executive Committee and will define the process for reciting member volunteers. The working group will examine the committee structure of other national associations and will complete its efforts by July 2013 to propose the new structure during the 2013 Annual Business Meeting.
- The SMSA Establishment of Motorcycle Safety Coalitions Working Group will be responsible for the development of an SMSA Promising Practices Document for the establishment and maintenance of Motorcycle Safety Coalitions over a 2-year period.
- The SMSA Promising Practices for Program Quality Assurance Working Group will be responsible for the development of an SMSA Promising Practices Document for Program Quality Assurance Efforts over a 2-year period.
For more information on volunteering, please contact the SMSA Office at email@example.com or (724) 801-8075